Saturday, January 8, 2011

Toto...

I knew I wasn’t in Kansas anymore when a student approached me to make small talk. He was grabbing a tissue from his teacher’s desk, where I happened to be sitting.

“Hello.”

“Hi.”

“I’m Joe.” (I honestly can’t remember his name, so he can have the standard Joe) “Are you a teacher?”

“Yes.”

“Here?”

“No, at another high school.”

“Oh. Niiiiice necklace! Is it Vera Wang? It looks like it’s from her latest collection. So nice.”

My first thought, “Vera Wang?! Child, I’m a teacher! I can’t afford Vera F’ing WANG!”

I don’t know if my students even know who Vera Wang is, let alone what her latest collection looks like. I relayed this story to a coworker, and she said when she’s asked where she got her clothes stores like JCPenny and Forever 21 pop up.

But I smiled, recognizing his attempt to connect with me through a comment, and said no. And then I said to myself, Toto, we definitely ain’t in Kansas anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment