Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Free pass

The public school I now work at is overwhelmingly Jewish. Due to both the student and faculty population, when there are very important Jewish holidays, the school calendar states, "Local Holiday." Lucky me. I get a four day weekend.

So today, before our four day weekend, I assigned a small packet of homework to my journalism students. They need to learn how to count and write headlines. And who raises his hand to protest? The child with the perfectly kept Afro (and I'm not talking Jew-fro, here. I mean genuine, gorgeous Afro). "Excuse me? Homework? Don't you know there is an important weekend of Jewish observance?"

Thanks, Einstein.

"I'm Jewish. Thanks for the update. Do your homework; it's due Monday."

Were any of my fellow tribe members complaining about homework? No. They were not trying to get a free pass. And to them I say, l'shana tova. Now where's my apples and honey?!

No comments:

Post a Comment